Matt Menzer, Attorney at Law
Matt Menzer represents people in personal injury, medical malpractice, elder abuse, wrongful death, and vaccine injury cases. He has over 30 years of experience and dedicates his practice to helping people who have been seriously injured or lost loved ones.
Matt is licensed to practice in Washington, Hawaii, and California. He is one of only a handful of attorneys in Hawaii and Washington who can represent individuals injured by vaccines in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Clients benefit from Matt’s extensive experience with both the insurance claim and litigation processes. He is highly knowledgeable about investigating all types of accidents and fully utilizing the discovery processes in litigated cases. He believes in leaving no stone unturned in the hunt for evidence. His experience extends to using pretrial motions, trial, and settlement negotiations to achieve the best possible results for his clients.
His work has been recognized by many legal organizations. Martindale-Hubbell, which is considered the gold standard of attorney ratings, gave Matt its highest “AV Preeminent” rating. Seattle Metropolitan Magazine named him a Top Attorney in Washington, he earned a Superb rating and Clients’ Choice Award by Avvo, and he received Lifetime Achievement membership from American’s Top 100 Attorneys.
Menzer Law Firm is a member of The International Society of Primerus Law Firms. The firm was selected in 2016 based on six pillars: Integrity, excellent work product, reasonable fees, civility, community service, and continuing legal education. Primerus is an exclusive association of fewer than 200 boutique law firms spread across 40 countries.
Matt shares his legal knowledge and experience by presenting at legal lectures and seminars on topics such as personal injury damages, expert witnesses, insurance law, state and federal civil procedure, and wrongful death cases.
He also has authored or co-authored numerous legal publications, including:
- “The Rise of Alternative Long-Term Care Facilities; What Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Need to Know”
- “Seen But Not Treated — Who Dropped the Ball”
- “What Lawyers Need to Know About the LTC Ombudsman Program”
- “Injury Claims Against Adult Family Homes,” a Chapter in the Nursing Home Litigation Deskbook, 2019 edition
Matt graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brown University and with a Juris Doctor (JD) from the University of California-Berkeley School of Law. Berkeley Law is one of the country’s top law schools. He completed federal judicial clerkships in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the U.S. District Court for Hawaii.
- University of California Berkeley School of Law. Doctor of Jurisprudence degree, 1987
- Brown University. Bachelor of Arts degree, Honors, 1981
- Menzer Law Firm, PLLC, Owner, 2002 – Present (Seattle and Wailuku, Maui)
- McNaul Ebel Nawrot Helgren & Vance, Partner, 1996 – 2002 (Seattle)
- Culp, Guterson, and Grader, Attorney, 1992 – 1996 (Seattle)
- Lowenthal & August, Attorney, 1990 – 1992 (Wailuku, Maui)
- United States District Court for Hawaii, Judicial Law Clerk, 1989 – 1990 (Honolulu)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, Judicial Law Clerk 1987 – 1988 (New York City)
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Washington State Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
Key Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest grade given to a lawyer for professional excellence
- 10.0 Superb Rating from attorney rating site Avvo
- ‘Clients’ Choice Award’ from attorney rating site Avvo
- Seattle Met Magazine named Matt Menzer as one of the ‘Top Attorneys in Washington’
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement
- Menzer Law ranked #58 among The Law 500 “Fastest Growing Law Firms in the U.S.”
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Legal Association Memberships
- Maui County Bar Association
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Eagle Member, Washington State Association for Justice
- King County Bar Association
- Certified Settlement Guardian Ad Litem, King County, Washington
- Admitted and qualified as an attorney and counselor of the United States Court of Federal Claims
Pro bono/Community Service
- Washington Medical-Legal Partnership
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Seattle Outrigger Canoe Club
Photography by Groovy Awapuhi Photography